“It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play,” is adapted by Joe Landry from the screenplay by Frances Goodrich, Albert Hackett, Frank Capra, and Jo Swerling. This beloved American holiday classic comes to captivating life as a live 1940s radio broadcast. With the help of an ensemble that brings a few dozen characters to the stage, the story of idealistic George Bailey unfolds as he considers ending his life one fateful Christmas Eve.
The show features many of the Playhouse’s favorite performers, including Jeff Goldberg, who plays your host for the evening, Freddie Filmore, plus another twelve roles. Frank O’Donnell plays Harry “Jazzbo” Heywood, the actor who voices the lovable Guardian Angel (Clarence Oddbody) and at least fourteen other roles. Haley Vonnah is Sally Applewhite, the actress who plays Mary Bailey. Jimmy Galaviz is Jake Laurents, with the herculean task of playing our hero George Bailey.
Ron Kurtz plays the Angel Joseph and the meanest man in Bedford Falls, Mr. Henry F. Potter, and more. Rounding out the cast of characters are Martha McDowell and Sheri Van Orden, each of whom play multiple characters. Cathy Pickren is our piano player and music director.
All of the sound effects will be produced live on stage by our Foley Operator: Steve Parrott. The show is directed by Bill Ivins and our trusty stage manager is Beth Perkins.
There will be four performances: November 9, 10, 11 & 12, 2023, curtain at 7:30 p.m. (Sun. at 2:30). Tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for students (18 and under) and are available online at: 904TIX or you can call the box office at: 904-277-3455.
The show is sponsored by Mary Pinkston and Villa Villekulla Neighborhood Toy Store, located downtown Fernandina Beach.
Dates and Times:
- Thursday, November 9, 7:30pm
- Friday, November 10, 7:30pm
- Saturday, November 11, 7:30pm
- Sunday, November 12, 2:30pm
- Jeff Goldberg as Freddie Filmore (+ 12 roles)
- Frank O’Donnell as Harry “Jazzbo” Heywood (Clarence + 14 roles)
- Haley Vonnah as Sally Applewhite (Mary Bailey)
- Jimmy Galaviz as Jake Laurents (George Bailey)
- Martha Mcdowell as Lana Sherwood (Violet + 2 roles)
- Sheri Van Orden as Sadie Vance (+ 6 roles)
- Ron Kurtz as Angel Joseph & Henry F. Potter (+1 more role)
- Steve Parrott – Foley Operator (Sound Effects)
- Cathy Pickren – Piano
- Beth Perkins – Stage Manager
- Director – Bill Ivins